The wonderful southern coastline of Athens called the “The Athens Riviera” offers breathtaking views and stretches out all the way down from Faliro-Flisvos with Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon marking its southernmost point.
Some of the most glamorous and cosmopolitan suburbs of Athens are situated here such as Glyfada, Voula, Varkiza and Vouliagmeni. This is a favourite destination of the Athenians, especially during the summer. Here you will find numerous cafes and restaurants, bars and summer mega-nightclubs as well as modern shopping malls and department stores.
Across the coastline you can swim in beautiful beaches with blue-flag certified waters.
Things to do
- Swimming. All across the coastline you can find numerous beaches; free or private, beaches with blue flags, isolated or crowded; the choices are endless. Take the tram or rent a car and explore the beautiful Attica beaches. Beach purists can go native and head for the jut of coast between Vouliagmeni and Varkiza famous for its many free swimming coves.
- Shopping. Famous international brands and large department stores but also small boutiques and local products make Glyfada a real shopper’s paradise.
- Restaurants. There are lots of choices whatever your preferences are. The whole area is filled with taverns and restaurants, some of which close to the water, with some offering marvelous views of the coastline and others in the city center.
- Nightlife. Summer mega-Clubs and bars are spread across the Athens Riviera and this is the only way to feel the fashionable crowd, young people lifestyle. Most of the clubs here start their program after midnight, this the Greek way!
How to get there
Glyfada, the closest southern suburb from the city center, is easily accessible;
- by metro (Helliniko metro station) and then use a short taxi ride or
- by tram which follows the coastline and brings you to Glyfada from Athens in 45 to 60 minutes. You can take the tram from Amalia Ave. at Syntagma Square (line 2 “Platon” that goes to Asklipiio Voulas).
- alternatively you can use a taxi. It will cost you about 10 euros depending on the traffic and the ride is 20 min.