Archaeological sites
/
Monastiraki

TEMPLE OF HEPHAESTUS

On top of the Kolonos Agoraios hill, which borders the Ancient Agora of Athens on the western side, stands the temple of Hephaestus, widely known as “Thission”. It is one of the most beautiful Doric temples of antiquity, with remarkably rich decoration, and one of the greatest monuments included in the Periclean building program. The temple is dedicated to Hephaestus and to his sister, Athena Ergani. During the 5th or the 7th century A.D. the Hephaesteion was transformed into a Christian church, dedicated to St. George, but underwent alterations only to the interior, and not to its exterior. It functioned as a temple until 1835

Read More
Amenities not found.
0
Rating
0.0%