ARRIVING BY AIR
“Eleftherios Venizelos” is the Athens International Airport (AIA), the primary entry into Athens. It is situated 33 km (20.5 miles) east of Athens. To get to town you have a choice between metro, suburban railway, bus, taxi and, of course, car hire.
- ΑIA is connected with Athens via the metro Line 3, Agia Marina – Airport & the ticket costs 8 € while the roundtrip ticket costs 14€. Alternatively you can take the suburban railway from Nreratziotissa station where you can take the Metro line 1 to the city centre or Piraeus Port.
- AIA is connected with the greater area of Athens via four EXPRESS bus routes / X93 from Kifissos & Liosion intercity bus stations / X95 from Syntagma / X96 from Piraeus Port / X97 from Elliniko metro station. Tickets cost € 5, reduced €2,5 for one trip to/from AIA. All the above buses run 24hrs.
- Regional buses (KTEL) connect AIA with the following destinations: Port of Rafina, Markopoulo, Port of Lavrio, Kalyvia & Keratea.
- Taxi from the airport to the city centre takes an average of 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the traffic. Expect to pay from € 35 to € 55 (including freeway toll and luggage surcharge).
- Most major Rent A Car companies have their offices at the airport.
ARRIVING BY SEA
If you arrive in Piraeus by boat, you can use the Metro to take you to the city centre or the express bus X80 “Piraeus-Acropolis-Syntagma”. There is a free bus service that runs inside the harbour you can use to take you there if you disembark far away from the main entrance. Taxis are available on the front of the main terminal. Do note that they charge extra for pick up & luggage.
ARRIVING BY TRAIN, LONG DISTANCE BUSES’
The main train station (Larissis station) is not very far from the city centre. You can use the Metro (there is a station outside the main terminal) or a bus to take you anywhere in Athens. There are two long distance Bus stations. They are connected with the city centre & major Metro stations via buses. Taxis are available on the stations. Do note that they charge extra for pick up & luggage.
Leave a Reply